Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Advice to an 11 year-old caught in the crossfire of divorce

Dear Jack,
 
I am an 11 year old girl who has two moms.  They were together for a long time before I was born and later, but aren’t together anymore.  I call the one who gave birth to me “mama” and the other “mom”.  Now they argue about who gets to have the most parenting time.  One wants to have me one week on and one week off.  The other wants four nights one week then three nights the next. I love them both and want to spend time with each one of them, but I hate the fighting and it makes my stomach hurt.  Sometimes they say mean things about the other person and that really makes me feel sad and mad.  I don’t want to say anything to upset either parent.  I feel like I’m tied up in knots most of the time.  I’m just a kid so I don’t know what I could say to them or even if I have the right to say anything. Help!
 
Jemma

 ________________________________

Dear Jemma,
 
Thank you for sharing your problem with me.  This seems to happen a lot when parents are no longer living together and/or get a divorce.  Divorce does not always damage children, but when you are caught in the crossfire of your parents’ hostility, it can.  As you said, it hurts to stand by and watch them say mean things to each other, or worse, if they say it to you.  I think it is important that your family seeks professional help. 
 
It is also important for you to have a voice.  Tell each one how it makes you feel when they argue and badmouth one another.  You should not have to be placed in the middle of their problem.  It’s also important that they don’t ask you to decide who, where or how long you want to live with each one.  That puts too much pressure on you and they are the adults, though they may not act like it, and are to make those decisions. 
 
Please talk to them and ask them to get some professional help.  You can also talk to a school counselor who may help you deal with what is going on at home or call my mom, Toni, at the Advocacy Center.  Take care of yourself Jemma and thanks again for sharing a very personal family problem.

Jack
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment