Monday, October 14, 2013

Jack's advice to a teen about peer pressure -- decide what matters

 
Dear Jack,

I’m a sophomore at one of the local high schools and have lived in this area all my life.  I have a great family and good friends.  What I’m writing about has to do with choices; choices that my friends are making and ones that I need to make. 
 
As I said before, they are GOOD friends, not bad kids, but they are experimenting with things that I’m not really comfortable with doing.  I don’t want to lose their friendship, but I’m afraid if I don’t go along with what they are doing they will not want to hang with me or think that I am judging them.  What can I do?

Jemma
____________________________ 

Dear Jemma,

Thank you for writing to me about something I think lots of kids face – peer pressure.  This is not to say that your friends are pressuring you to make the same choices they are making, but when you aren’t comfortable with their choices you may put pressure on yourself to conform. 
 
What is important is for you to think about what matters to you. 
 
Find out what is in your heart.  Friendships are important, but you need to be comfortable with who you are -- not with who you think others want you to be.  What matters to you is your question. 
 
If you would like to talk to my mom, Toni, you can always call the Advocacy Center and she’ll be there. 
 
Thanks again for writing.

Jack
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment