Thursday, July 25, 2013

Trouble communicating? Let art speak for (and to) you!

Jack and Toni

Dear Jack,

I’m a teen and have problems that I need help with, but I don’t know where to go or what to do.  My mom thinks I should go to a “shrink” and talk things out.  I’m not very good at talking and the idea of spilling my guts to someone I don’t even know sounds crazy.  I’ve been having nightmares, eating problems and am stressed to the max.  HELP!

Julia
_________________________________________


Dear Julia,

I’m glad to hear that you know it would be helpful to work on the problems you described and are also aware of struggling with communicating your needs verbally.  There are all kinds of therapy modalities and talking is just one of them. 
 
One of the therapy modals we use at CAC is Art Therapy.  The purpose of Art Therapy is healing just like other therapy models, but you communicate through art, whether it’s painting, drawing, sculpting, mask making, etc. 
 
There are all kinds of ways that art can help you communicate deep issues non-verbally.  It allows you to play a vital role in your recovery and you can visually track the progress you make.  Your art speaks for you creating greater insight, cognitive memory, ability to cope with stress, improve interpersonal relationships and greater self-fulfillment.  You don’t have to be artistic to benefit from this type of treatment because you and, at times, your therapist may interpret what you have drawn and the meaning behind your creation.

I hope this information has helped you understand that you can seek the help you need without having to “talk it out”.  If you have any other questions you can always call my mom, Toni, at CAC and talk to her.  Thanks for sharing your problem.

Jack
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment