Thursday, August 16, 2012

Man abused as a child -- afraid he will abuse


Dear Jack, 

I know you usually talk to kids about their problems and help them understand different things that might be troubling them.  I am an adult, but have a problem too that I would like to ask you about.  When I was 12 I was sexually abused by my best friends’ dad.  He went to prison and I went to counseling.  During the counseling the therapist told me that since I had been abused I would likely grow up and become a sexual offender.  Jack, this information has affected my life in so many different ways.  I have few friends and having a girlfriend seems impossible.  I keep waiting for the day I become like the person who hurt me.  What can I do?

Alex

__________________________________

Dear Alex,

I am so sorry you were abused.  This is something that should not happen to anyone, but happens more often than we would like to admit.  What I’m more sorry, and upset, about is your experience in counseling.  What the therapist told you was so wrong!  Just because you were sexually abused does not mean you will grow up to be an abuser.  Some kids may sexually act out with others what happened to them, but we call this sexually reactive behavior.  Again, this does not mean they are “little offenders”. They are just trying to deal with the feelings the abuse has caused.  Working with them around boundaries, touch, secrets, feelings and sex education can minimize the damage done and teach the difference between right and wrong behaviors.

Alex, it is important for you to talk to a therapist who deals with sex abuse and knows what they are talking about.  They will help you work through your feelings of a doomed future and isolation.  You deserve to have a life filled with friends, people you love and who love you.  The most important thing to remember is you did nothing wrong! Thank you for sharing with me.  If you would like to talk to my mom, Toni, she could really help you understand all you’ve been through and help you heal.  Just call her at the Center.

Jack


No comments:

Post a Comment